Dusted off my claypot to make this yummy Claypot Chicken Rice. I remembered going to a hawker center in Singapore behind my dorm with my dormmates and ordering this Claypot Chicken Rice.. 😋😋 yum yum.. See recipe below
- 0.6 lbs skinless boneless chicken thigh
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 inches (6 cm) ginger, peel the skin and chop into thin strips
- 6 shitake mushrooms, soak in hot water for 30 minutes and cut into halves
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- 2 Chinese sausage, sliced, can be optional if you don't have it. I love Chinese sausage so would need to get this. You an get it at asian supermarket.
- 1 piece salted fish, cut into small pieces - optional (Note: I never used this)
- 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken boullion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 dashes ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine (or rice wine )
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (to be drizzled once claypot is ready)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 cup of water
Note: My claypot is about 10" diameter and 3.5" high. If you don't have a claypot, you can cook it on your rice cooker, see my other blog post.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Chop the chicken into 2" pieces.
- To the chicken pieces and mushroom, add the Chicken Seasoning and mix well. Marinate for an hour in the fridge.
CLAYPOT RICE USING CLAYPOT:
- If you're using a claypot, soak the whole claypot onto water for at least 15 minutes. Soaking the clay pot in water for at least 15 minutes and up to two hours will bring moisture to the porous inner surface, allowing the food to steam while cooking so the food doesn't dry out.
- Heat the oil in a wok or a deep frying pan, then add the garlic and ginger, frying until fragrant. Add the marinated chicken and mushroom and stir. When the meat starts to brown, add the chinese sausage, stirring for a minute to mix well. Don't brown too long because we still to cook the chicken in the claypot for 1 hour so we don't want to overcook the chicken.
- Next place the claypot on the stove and turn the heat to low.
- Add the rice to the wok (wok and not into claypot!) alongside the chicken and mushroom and turn the heat to high, mixing as you go to allow the rice to fully absorb the flavor of the other ingredients. Add the 2 tablespoon of light soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the wok and keep stirring and mixing for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the wok to the claypot. Add the 3/4 cup of water, then cover and increase the heat to low/medium.
- Leave the ingredients to cook for about an hour, checking-in every 15 minutes and giving the rice a stir or two. Make sure to stir at the middle of the crockpot - there will be some burning of the claypot rice.
- Drizzle the dark soy sauce over the claypot rice and serve, with the claypot as your centerpiece. Add chopped green onion on top of the claypot.
If you don't have claypot then head on over to my other blog post to cook this with rice cooker