Claypot Chicken Rice without Claypot and Use Rice Cooker
This recipe is for cooking claypot chicken rice with rice cooker.
- 0.6 lbs skinless boneless chicken thigh
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 inches (6 cm) ginger, peel the skin and chop into thin strips
- 6 shitake mushrooms, soak in hot water for 30 minutes and cut into halves
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- 2 Chinese sausage, sliced
- 1 piece salted fish, cut into small pieces - optional (Note: I never used this)
- 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken boullion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 dashes ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine (or rice wine )
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (to be drizzled once claypot is ready)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- water as needed to follow your rice cooker instruction.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Chop the chicken into 2" pieces.
- To the chicken pieces and mushroom, add the Chicken Seasoning and mix well. Marinate for an hour in the fridge.
CLAYPOT RICE USING RICE COOKER:
- After the chicken is marinated for an hour, rinse and clean the rice in a rice cooker.
- Add all the Rice Seasoning into the rice including the dark soy sauce, stir to combine well. Add water to your rice cooker just as you normally would on cooking the 1.5 cups of rice on your rice cooker. Start cooking the rice.
- Heat up a wok with the cooking oil. Add in the ginger, then follow by the chicken and shiitake mushrooms.
- Quickly stir fry the chicken until the surface turns white and half-cooked. Add in the chopped scallion, dish out and set aside. In this method you want to cook the chicken longer than the claypot method because this method, you will only add the chicken for 7 minutes plus 15 to 20 minutes of steaming time. See step 6 below.
- Deep fry the salted fish and set aside, if you are using salted fish.
- Add the chicken, mushroom and chinese sausage into the rice cooker when the rice is almost dry (about 7-8 minutes) and continue to cook until rice is completely cooked. I don't mix in the chicken, mushroom and chinese sausage and just put them all on top
- My rice cooker would start doing a count down at 10 minutes so I know when to put the rice cooker at 8 minutes. If your rice cooker doesn't do a count down timer, then you can see if typically it takes 30 minutes to cook the rice, then open the rice cooker 22 minutes after you start cooking the rice.
- Leave the rice cooker on "Stay Warm" for 15 - 20 mintues before serving.
- Top the chicken rice with fried salted fish and green onion and serve immediately.
Recipe is from these two blog posts from Rasa Malaysia here and here. I added some alteration to the recipe.